Shock

Shock

A state of physical shock in a dog or cat that normally occurs when there is insufficient blood flow and oxygen in the body. There are many things that can cause shock in pets. However, the most common reason that dogs and cats may go into shock is loss of blood due to an accident or injury. Other things that can lead to shock in dogs and cats include heart failure, severe allergic reactions, heat stroke, poisoning, peritonitis and sepsis.

How to Recognize

Signs that your pet may be in shock include cold paws, respiratory distress, low blood pressure, a weak pulse, serious weakness, intense lethargy, and bleeding.

Causes of Shock

Blood loss, usually from trauma, is the most common cause of shock in pets. Your pet may also be in shock from loss of bodily fluid due to long lasting vomiting or diarrhea. Other causes include heart failure, severe allergic reactions, heat stroke, poisoning, peritonitis and sepsis.

Diagnosis

Seek emergency veterinary care immediately if you think your pet may be in shock. Your veterinarian will run blood tests, take your pet's blood pressure, and look at your pet's heart using an Electrocardiogram.

Treatment for Shock

The veterinarian will control bleeding and administer fluids to your pet via an IV.

Pet Insurance

When adding a dog or cat to your family you want to make sure your pet is happy, healthy and protected. During its lifetime your pet is exposed to many illnesses and diseases and some breeds are affected by a congenital disease which is a condition existing at birth. At these moments when your pet is ill or maybe needs surgery, you want to be protected for the unexpected and high veterinarian costs.

Get a Free Pet Insurance Quote