For centuries, humans have enjoyed a special and close bond with their canine friends. While most all dogs are loyal to some degree, some are instinctively more loyal than others. Based on their history and temperament, the following breeds are the top 10 most loyal dogs today:
Top 10 Most Loyal Dogs
- Collies – Perhaps some of the most loyal dogs of all are Collies. The Collie is a herding breed that was developed in Scotland. These dogs are some of the most intelligent, loyal and friendly dogs you will ever meet.
- German Shepherds – Not only are German Shepherds highly intelligent dogs, but they have a powerful sense of loyalty as well. These dogs can be quite aloof to people they do not know, but they are very sweet to their human family.
- Golden Retrievers – Golden Retrievers are popular dogs as they have excellent temperaments and are great with children. In fact, you can almost say that the Golden is too friendly and its loyalty knows no boundaries.
- Beagles – The Beagles is a hunting breed that is lively and kind. While Beagles were developed in Great Britain, it is thought that they may have ties to Ancient Greece. Since they are pack animals, they tend to form close bonds with their owners.
- Labrador Retrievers – Another popular breed is the Labrador Retriever. This is because these dogs are most known for their gentleness, intelligence and loyalty. While Labradors were bred to retrieve game, they also make excellent companions.
Most Loyal Dog Breeds
- Dachshunds – The Dachshund’s roots can be traced to Germany where it was developed to hunt small prey. Although Dachshunds are known best for their long bodies and short legs, they are also extremely affectionate and protective little dogs.
- Boxers – No list of the most loyal dog breeds would be complete without adding the Boxer. Boxers were developed in Germany and were used to hunt large game. However, because of their loyalty and protective nature, they are quite popular companions.
- Saint Bernards – Saint Bernards are some of the most gentle dogs you will ever meet. In fact, these dogs were originally bred to act as rescue dogs in the Swiss Alps. Their great sense of loyalty is attributed to a strong desire to please their owners.
- Bulldogs – While Bulldogs were originally developed in England for bull baiting, they have a dignified and calm disposition. They also seem to form strong, loving bonds with children and are very gentle and protective.
- Kuvasz – The Kuvasz has Hungarian roots and was originally bred to guard livestock. Nevertheless, these large dogs are intelligent, gentle and loyal pets that serve well in households with children of any age.
Most Loyal Dog Breeds
We have all heard the saying that dogs are mans’ best friends. The saying stems from the fact that there are few animals that show such intense loyalty to humans as dogs do. While most any breed of dog is loyal to some extent, listed above are the top 10 most loyal dogs today.