Poisonous Plants for Dogs

Dogs are curious creatures by nature, which makes them prone to exploring their environments. Unfortunately, there are many plants and flowers that can be quite toxic to dogs if they happen to nibble on them while exploring. However, when you are aware of the most common poisonous plants for dogs, you can take steps to ensure that your dog does not have access to them.

Poisonous Plants for Dogs

Most Common Toxic Plants for Dogs

Listed below are the top most common poisonous plants for dogs. If you have any of these plants in or around your home, you need to remove them immediately. If you are not sure of the toxicity of a plant, be sure to research it and find out. Additionally, it is essential to note that this is, by no means, a complete list of toxic plants for dogs.

Poisonous Plants for Dogs

  • Azaleas and Rhododendruns
  • Autumn Crocus and Amaryllis
  • Apples and Crabapples
  • Aloe and Cyclamen
  • Chrysanthemums, Mums and Daisies
  • Castor Beans, Mushrooms and Dumbcane
  • All Forms of Lilies and Iris
  • Daffodils and Narcissus
  • English Ivy and Devil’s Ivy
  • Elephant Ears and Foxgloves
  • Hydrangeas and Hyacinths
  • Marijuana, Hashish and Tobacco
  • Mistletoe and Hostas
  • Oleander and Sago Palms
  • Philodendrons and Tulips
  • Schefflera and All Types of Yews
  • Find more poisonous plants for dogs here: Holiday Plants that are Poisonous to Pets

 

Symptoms of Poisoning When Dogs Eat Toxic Plant

The symptoms your dog may experience if it eats a toxic plant will vary depending on the plant in question. While some plants cause irritation to the skin or mouth, others can cause serious damage to your pet’s internal organs. Nevertheless, if you suspect that your dog has ingested all or part of a poisonous plant, look for one or more of the following symptoms of poisoning:

  • Vomiting and/or Diarrhea
  • Loss of Appetite
  • Depression and/or Lethargy
  • Tremors/Weakness
  • Frequent Urination and/or Dark Urine
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Excessive Salivation
  • Dilated Pupils
  • Difficulty Breathing and/or Swallowing
  • Excessive Panting
  • Collapse and Shock
  • Increased Thirst
  • Seizures
  • Loss of Coordination
  • Irregular Heart Rate

 

Treatments for Dogs Poisoned by Plants

If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned by a plant, you will need to get veterinary help right away. If you can find the plant, take it or a piece of it with you. If you cannot find the plant but your pet has vomited, take some of the contents of the vomit with you.

It is important that you get to the vet as quickly as possible, as some toxic plants to dogs act rather quickly. Depending on the plant your dog ingested, your veterinarian may induce vomiting in an effort to eliminate the substance from your dog’s body. Additionally, in many cases, activated Charcoal or Endosorb will be administered to help absorb the toxic chemicals.

Pets that are in distress may require anti-inflammatory drugs and/or IV fluid therapy. After your dog is stabilized, the vet will then perform various tests to ensure that the organs were not affected by the poison. Finally, hospitalization and close monitoring may be necessary depending on your dog’s condition.

Learn more about toxic plants for your feline friend: poisonous plants for cats.

View More Health Articles

Subscribe to our Newsletter.

Because your pet's health is important to us.