A state of physical shock in a dog or cat that normally occurs when there is insufficient blood flow and oxygen in the body. There are many things that can cause shock in pets. However, the most common reason that dogs and cats may go into shock is loss of blood due to an accident or injury. Other things that can lead to shock in dogs and cats include heart failure, severe allergic reactions, heat stroke, poisoning, peritonitis and sepsis.
How to Recognize
Signs that your pet may be in shock include cold paws, respiratory distress, low blood pressure, a weak pulse, serious weakness, intense lethargy, and bleeding.
Blood loss, usually from trauma, is the most common cause of shock in pets. Your pet may also be in shock from loss of bodily fluid due to long lasting vomiting or diarrhea. Other causes include heart failure, severe allergic reactions, heat stroke, poisoning, peritonitis and sepsis.
Seek emergency veterinary care immediately if you think your pet may be in shock. Your veterinarian will run blood tests, take your pet\\\\\\\'s blood pressure, and look at your pet\\\\\\\'s heart using an Electrocardiogram.
The veterinarian will control bleeding and administer fluids to your pet via an IV.