Pet parents often question how to introduce a kitten to a dog. Prior to introducing your kitten to your dog, you should make sure there are places for the kitten to hide if she is not ready to meet your dog as of yet. You should give your kitten a place to hide; then within a few days, you will likely see your kitten coming out to meet your dog once she feels comfortable with the house.
Tips on Introducing Kittens to Your Dog
Refer to the following tips for the best introduction:
- When introducing a kitten to a dog, you should allow them to introduce themselves rather than forcing the introductions.
- For your kitten’s hiding place, try to choose a room that your dog does not feel is “his.” For example, the area your dog sleeps is not a good place to put your kitten.
- Supervise them closely for the first week of interaction.
- You should not leave the kitten and dog alone together until you are confident they will get along well.
- Be certain your kitten understands where the litterbox is and place the litterbox somewhat close to her hiding area. If she is afraid of the dog at first, this could result in housetraining problems if you do not conduct the introductions properly.
Learning how to introduce a kitten to a dog can be frustrating; however, following these tips will make the transition to your home much easier for you and your pets.
If you have any questions regarding learning how to introduce a kitten to a dog, you should contact your pet behavior professional. Your pet behavior professional will assist you in the introduction and ensure the introduction goes smoothly.
Find out here if dogs and cats can be best friends!
Amber Johnson, Animal Behaviorist
Miss Amber Johnson has many years of experience with pets and is a licensed cat and dog nutrition and behavior specialist. She currently collaborates with PetPremium where she counsels clients in pet behavior and nutrition. The statements made in this article are the personal opinions of Miss Amber Johnson and based on independent experiences and could be different from the opinions of PetPremium Pet health Insurance or any other pet health insurance provider.
Get a Pet Health Insurance Quote!
No credit card required. Money Back Guarantee.Get My Quote