If you have kids and would like to add a dog to your household, you will want to choose among those breeds that are known to be some of the best family dogs. Fortunately, there are many dog breeds that fall into this category. While there are dozens of these breeds, listed below are the top 10 best dog breeds for kids:
- Golden Retrievers – Golden Retrievers are lovable, intelligent and gentle dogs that are eager to please their human families. These are loyal dogs that have a lot of patience with children and are happiest when they are spending time with their people.
- Labrador Retrievers – Cousin to the Golden Retriever, the Labrador Retriever is a short-coated dog that is energetic, playful and highly intelligent. These dogs are gentle with children and are easy to train.
- Collies– Perhaps the best dog breed for children is the Collie. These are extremely gentle, sweet and intelligent dogs that make excellent pets for small kids. Collies love to play and are very devoted to their owners.
- Old English Sheepdogs – No list of the best dog breeds for kids would be complete with adding the Old English Sheepdog. These are loving and gentle creatures that love children. They are a herding breed, which also makes them protective and loyal.
- Beagles – Beagles enjoy interacting with people, especially children. They are sturdy and active little dogs that like to rough house and play fetch. If you want a pet with a lot of energy and personality, a Beagle is a great choice.
- Shetland Sheepdogs – Shetland Sheepdogs, or Shelties, are small herding dogs that are happiest when they are interacting with their human family. These are energetic dogs that need a lot of exercise and play time.
- Poodles – Miniature and Standard Poodles are very smart and gentle dogs. Due to the texture of their coats, they are terrific pets for people who have allergies (hypoallergenic dog breeds). The Poodle ‘s patient demeanor also makes it one of the best dog breeds for kids.
- Bulldogs – Although Bulldogs are quite docile, they are sturdy and patient dogs making them perfect for kids who have a lot of energy. These loyal dogs get along extremely well with other pets and are comfortable in any size home.
- Bearded Collies – Bearded Collies are lively and playful dogs that are happiest when they are playing with kids. They are high-energy creatures that cannot go long without something to entertain them.
- Boston Terriers – If you are looking for a small dog breed that is good with kids, the Boston Terrier is a perfect choice. The Boston is an intelligent, sturdy and rambunctious little dog that learns fast and is very playful.
These are the top 10 best family dogs today. Some other great dog breeds for kids include Bull Terriers, Newfoundlands, Border Collies, Saint Bernards and Mutts. Finding the best dog breed for children is actually quite easy as there are so many wonderful dogs that are patient, loyal and gentle.