Your dog is a large part of your family. As such, you want to ensure the best nutrition plan possible for your furry friend. This could mean making your dog homemade dog food. There are a few tidbits of information you need to understand in order to be successful in developing a healthy diet for your companion. What about people food as natural dog treats?
Homemade Dog Food Do’s
- Feed him unprocessed foods!
- Feed him plenty of meat. Raw meat, raw bones and animal fat are among the foods essential for a healthy diet.
- Follow the homemade recipe exactly. For example, if the recipe calls for chicken with the skin still attached, removing the skin could significantly impact the diet planned for your dog.
- Add supplements if necessary. Calcium is often not sufficient in a homemade diet. Dependent upon the needs of your dog, a supplement may be necessary for her to remain healthy!
- Observe your dog once his diet switches! Keep a close eye on your dog for the first 2-3 weeks and ensure he is not gaining or losing a significant amount of weight. If he is gaining or losing, his diet will need altered.
- Top 5 Foods for a Healthy Dog
Homemade Dog Food Don’ts
- Do not feed him processed food or any of these bad foods for dogs.
- Do not try to place your dog on a diet meant for an herbivore! Your dog is a carnivore and should be fed as such.
- Do not feed processed dog treats. Most dog treats are full of chemicals, dyes and fillers which are not good for your dog.
If you have any questions regarding homemade dog food, our in-house dog food advisor is available to assist you. Learn more about organic dog food here.
Amber Johnson, Animal Behaviorist
Miss Amber Johnson has many years of experience with pets and is a licensed cat and dog nutrition and behavior specialist. She currently collaborates with PetPremium where she counsels clients in pet behavior and nutrition. The statements made in this article are the personal opinions of Miss Amber Johnson and based on independent experiences and could be different from the opinions of PetPremium Pet health Insurance or any other pet health insurance provider.
Get a Pet Health Insurance Quote!
No credit card required. Money Back Guarantee.Get My Quote